Benefits of the Vegan Trademark
- Over 90% of vegans and vegetarians look for vegan verification, and 85% believe third-party certification is important. 
- The Vegan Trademark is the most trusted and recognised vegan certification worldwide, making it a great to increase consumer trust and boost brands’ confidence to shout about their vegan credentials. We work with you as the authority on third-party vegan accreditation.
- We’re experts in all things vegan – The Vegan Society coined the word “vegan” back in 1944, and we’ve been leaders in the definition of veganism and ensuring high standards.
- We register individual products, not companies, which allows non-vegan brands to grow with us.
- We want to help all brands with vegan products succeed, this is why we tailor quotes to company size and the number of products to make the Vegan Trademark accessible to smaller brands as well as the largest ones in the market.
- Access to relevant marketing opportunities in our Toolkit, helping you promote your products once registered.
- We share news about brands registered with us and their products on our vegan channels (Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, our Blog, Twitter, webinars, and even Pinterest!).
- Gain access to a wealth of knowledge, market insights and exposure you won’t find anywhere else.
 Attest consumer survey for The Vegan Society - (‘Consumer Purchasing Habits’) of 1000 UK adults and 1000 USA adults – conducted between 22 February and 3 March 2021 (online)
Vegan Trademark standards
Our dedicated team of vegan experts checks each product application against the following criteria, working with manufacturers and suppliers to ensure that each product meets the highest vegan standards. The Vegan Trademark is renewed on a yearly basis to ensure we have the most up-to-date information on all the products we certify.
- No animal ingredients
The manufacture and/or development of the product, and its ingredients, must not involve or have involved, the use of any animal product, by-product or derivative.
- No animal testing
The development and/or manufacture of the product, and its ingredients, must not involve or have involved, testing of any sort on animals conducted at the initiative of the company or on its behalf, or by parties over whom the company has effective control.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
The development and/or production of GMOs must not have involved animal genes or animal-derived substances. Products put forward for trademark registration that contains or may contain any GMOs must be labelled as such.
You can find out more about our vegan standards by getting in touch with us through the “Get in touch” form that you will find here.
Happy clients’ testimonials
The Organic Skin Co
"At The Organic Skin Co., we value working with the hard-working, always approachable team at The Vegan Society. For us, protecting vital ecosystems and the animals who walk this world is a non-negotiable part of who we are and what we do. Certifications with recognisable, internationally reputable organisations like The Vegan Society are vital in helping us communicate this, letting new and existing customers know what we stand for. When they see the Vegan Trademark on our products, it's an important sign that they can trust us; that the products we offer will do the right thing by them and our planet."
“Third-party verification plays an important role in ensuring the claims a company makes about its products are trustworthy. The Vegan Society have been stewards of the vegan ideal since the term itself was coined many decades ago. We are proud to use their certification program to help our customers confirm our products are free from animal ingredients. Their team makes the entire process turn-key and what’s more, they understand why making vegan products is so meaningful to brands like ours.”
“In a world of watered-down regulations, green-washed products, and feel-good certifications, it’s good to know that the Vegan Trademark takes its auditing process seriously! Too many times, we’ve run across certifications that require only a pay-to-play participation. The minute we find out that a certificate can be obtained via payment alone, we immediately decline. It’s the only way to stay honest and transparent with our customers. Up to this point in our decade+ journey, The Vegan Society and a couple other certifications have lived up to their responsibility as certifying bodies. We’re proud to list The Vegan Society on our website and inform our customers of their good work!”
FAQs about the Vegan Trademark
Who can apply for the Vegan Trademark?
We register any company that produces vegan-friendly products. We aim to make the Vegan Trademark accessible to everyone whose products fit our specific criteria. This includes products containing no animal ingredients, vegan processing aids used in manufacturing, and ingredients that have never been tested on animals on behalf of the manufacturer.
Why register with the Vegan Trademark?
We offer a unique product-checking service, with years of experience, to ensure that your product’s vegan claim is valid and authentic. As the charity that coined the term vegan, we are the experts in this field.
Our Vegan Trademark holders benefit in a multitude of ways. From credible brand awareness, market insights, and access to the vegan community to discounted advertising opportunities, social media promotion, competitions, and product exposure at events.
How do I register with the Vegan Trademark?
Get in touch with us, and our experienced officers will guide you through the four-step process of registering your products with the Vegan Trademark.
How long does the Vegan Trademark licence run for?
We usually offer the options of 12 and 24-month licences. Supermarket licences are usually set at 12 months to support the high turnover of products.
How long could Trademark registration take?
Please allow between 30 and 60 working days. This is dependent on the complexity of your application and the efficiency of communication channels.
If you have any deadlines, please let us know, and we will always do our best to work with you to meet these. We are happy to work directly with your suppliers on the registration.