MSL Solution Providers is proud to introduce VeganSure® dehydrated culture media (DCM). An extension of its successful vegan testing solution, MSL is now able to supply vegan dehydrated culture media (DCM) to companies around the world that have in-house laboratories or sub-contract microbiological testing. Thus, enabling them to perform routine microbiological testing and assure the safety of their cosmetic products, in line with its brand’s ethical stance.
All VeganSure DCM products are validated against traditional media to ensure quality of results and meet the requirements of the UK and EU Cosmetic Regulations. All animal-derived ingredients usually found in standard culture media and neutralisers, are replaced with plant-based or synthetic alternatives, such as papaya-derived enzymes, soya bean, and plant peptones.
The VeganSure DCM collection comprises eight products:
- VeganSure® Agar (VSA) - A general-purpose agar, which supports the growth of a wide range of microorganisms. It can be used as a vegan alternative to Tryptone Soy Agar (TSA)
- Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA) - Used for the preparation and maintenance of fungal test strains used in the growth promotion test. The extract from potato and dextrose provides a nutritionally rich base that encourages mould sporulation and pigment production
- V7 Neutralising Broth (VN7) - This VeganSure neutraliser covers the broadest range of preservatives and is recommended for use in challenge testing of water-miscible cosmetics
- Vegan Maximum Recovery Diluent (VMRD) - Used as an isotonic diluent for maximum recovery of microorganisms
- Sabouraud Dextrose Agar (SDA) - Used for the preparation and maintenance of fungal test strains used in the growth promotion test
- VeganSure® Broth (VSB) - A vegan alternative to Tryptic Soy Broth (Soybean-Casein Digest Broth), this is used for the cultivation of a wide variety of microorganisms and recommended for testing bacterial contaminants in cosmetics
- V Nutrient Agar (VNA) - A general-purpose medium for the cultivation of a wide variety of organisms that are not demanding in their nutritional requirements, for example, organisms that can be isolated from air, water, dust etc.
- V Nutrient Broth (VNB) - A vegan alternative to traditional nutrient broth and used for the cultivation of a wide variety of microorganisms
Suitable for all cosmetic microbiological testing, VeganSure® Agar (VSA), V7 Neutralising Broth (VN7), Vegan Maximum Recovery Diluent (VMRD), and Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA) are registered with The Vegan Society’s Trademark, meaning that companies who use them can claim the VeganSure stamp of approval, without having to be physically audited by The Vegan Society.
Ben Elmadi, Technical Manager – Cosmetics at MSL Solution Providers, says ‘VeganSure was the first vegan testing suite to market, and we are proud to launch the world’s first animal-free dehydrated culture media service too. Whilst VeganSure is completely vegan, its customer base is not limited to vegan brands and manufacturers. As end-consumers become savvier and demand ethical products, the future is looking greener than ever. From focuses on climate impact to animal welfare, this ethics-based buying pattern is shifting the cosmetics market for good. Our VeganSure service enables brands to future proof their brand and products now’.
Ericka Durgahee, Marketing Manager at The Vegan Society, adds ‘The launch of VeganSure DCM enables even more companies to test their products without compromising their vegan credentials, which is something we fully support.’
For more information about VeganSure or to order VeganSure DCM, please visit: VeganSure® dehydrated culture media – MSL