Key points included
- Align VMS with broader food and drink trends
- Deliver clean label and transparency in VMS
- Functional claims in VMS to become more holistic.
The big stories
VMS producers can align to broader food/drink trends like plant-based dieting and eco-dieting. Blockchain IT may open opportunities for producers to deliver transparency, while expectations for clean label will continue.
VMS health claims can become more holistic, focusing on emotional and mental health, as well as physical health.
In the next two years
VMS can target oral and skin microbiomes, as well as the gut microbiome, with ingredients like postbiotics. VMS have a role to play in preventing and treating health issues, from conception to the later years. Blue light from screen time, increasing maternal ages and pollution may offer new opportunities for VMS.
In five years and beyond
Sustainability will start to become a hygiene factor for some consumers, which may drive a refill revolution in VMS. The active ingredient in magic mushrooms, psilocybin, could follow the footsteps of cannabidiol (CBD), and consumers will expect a greater degree of personalisation from VMS, using DNA test kits, for example.
All reports purchased from the Mintel Store now come with free access to our COVID-19 Global Insights Hub, allowing you to understand how industries and consumer behaviour is changing worldwide.
What does the COVID-19 Global Insights Hub give you access to?
- Over 450 pieces of research (with more published each week) addressing markets across the globe
- Discover how people in countries at different stages of the crisis are adjusting to the 'new normal'
- Trending industries which have seen growth due to the changes in circumstance
- Our latest consumer research surveys, allowing you to see customers views right now.
For more information on Mintel's report, click here.